Saturday, September 18, 2010

We made it...eventually!


World’s longest day? Maybe. World’s most tired girls? Fo’ shizzle. Rebecca and I met up at the airport yesterday (although it feels more like today) and boarded our flight to Madrid sin problemas. Of course, the lack of problems can only last for so long in the world of air travel. The plane’s deicing mechanism was apparently broken and would take 15 minutes to fix. LIES. It would take over one and half hours to fix. And how long was our layover supposed to be? Oh, I don’t know, about one hour and thirty-five minutes. So, while the flight itself was relatively smooth and I may have gotten 10 minutes of painful sleep, we definitely did not make our connection to Sevilla. We knew there was a flight a few hours later, but of course that one was totally full. So we got to wait 6 hours in the Madrid airport with no internet and uncomfortable seats. A plus side to getting stranded is that Iberia bought us both lunch. Thanks for the hearty meal (it included salad, pasta, bread, dessert, and a drink), but I’d rather just have been asleep in my hostel in Sevilla. This strong urge to sleep prompted Rebecca and I to imaginarily co-found an airport service that provides beds for rent by the hour. I would have paid many Euros for that today. But nothing beats the name of our company, “A Quick Lay.” Because we have not yet spread this idea worldwide, we were forced to do some good ol’ European window-shopping. What we discovered is that European clothes are soooo much cooler than American clothes, and we don’t own any of them. So, after settling down in Sevilla, I will have to upgrade that distinctly American wardrobe of mine. Another plus to being stranded in a Spanish airport is that I get to speak….Spanish! Rebecca and I get very excited whenever we successfully have bits of conversation in this language. Presumably I could have had these Spanish conversations had I gotten to Sevilla on time, but to make me feel better, let’s pretend they were only possible while stuck in an airport. I’m really excited to keep up these small chats until I can have a legit conversation. I also learned that Spanish men have impeccable style. And I’m fine with that.

After another shorter flight to Sevilla, we found that my luggage had not joined us. They tell me it will arrive tomorrow in the morning, but we shall see if that comes true. We took a cab to the hostel, during which we spoke a lot of Spanish and saw some of Sevilla. Some of the historic parts looked beautiful, but we have a lot of exploring to do. We took a short nap and a shower and are now headed out to find some comida. Hopefully a good night’s sleep (if that is possible in a hostel) will make the next few days of adventure a lot of fun, although we hear that finding an apartment can be quite frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment