Tuesday, September 21, 2010

It's official...I'm living in Sevilla!


Last night ended up being anything but chill. I was sitting on the terrace with a bunch of people, enjoying some tinto de verano, and one of the guys who works for the hostel came up to try to get us all to go out with him. He was pretty darn sneaky and got nearly everyone to join him for an 8 euro fee. I had absolutely no intention of going out and Rebecca had only one hour of sleep in her, but we succumbed to peer pressure and joined the masses. Little did we know that we had joined a pub crawl and would be walking around the entire city. We went from bar to bar (4 or 5 stops in all) and they provided us with a free drink at each of them. It was incredibly fun talking with all our new friends. I had some very lovely conversations with awesome German and British boys and some American girls traveling around. I also got to see a new part of the city as we crossed the river over to Triana. It looks like it will be great to explore in the daylight too. At one bar/club, they were playing electronic techno music and I had to adjust my dancing to that type of music, which was not easy. I mostly copied the European boys and jumped around a lot, but I don’t think it was terrible in the end. The final stop was an open-air dance club in the middle of a park. It was a very cool place to have a dance party, and they were playing remixes of American songs (including Who Let the Dogs Out and Getting Jiggy Wit It). The place was completely packed on a Monday night, too. Oh, Spain, you know how to have fun! It was a very long night (we got back around 4:30 am, I think), and it was not the best dance club experience of my life because it was with new friends (nothing beats going out with the girls from home), but all in the all, the lack of sleep was worth it to meet such amazing people.

Early this afternoon, I hiked over to my new apartment in Nervión (a 45 minute walk) to pay Inma for the apartment. In Spain, you pay rent in cash, which makes walking from the ATM to the apartment kind of nerve wracking, but I made it there just fine. Inma and I sat down and chatted for a while, and I feel very good about the apartment. I am excited to move my stuff in and buy some things for the room, although it is completely furnished. Then she took me out for a drink (just what I needed after last night) and we had a great conversation. I took the bus back towards the city, which was a very short ride and my first experience on Sevilla public transportation. I spent the whole ride writing one text message on my crappy new phone. After the intuitive texting on the iPhone, using T9 or pressing a button 3 times to get one letter is extremely frustrating. Rebecca also got a phone this morning, so we met back up at the hostel and headed out for some much needed tapas. And she decided on a place to live! It is the spacious place we visited yesterday and should not be hard to get to from my place. The tapas we had were incredible! I had the restaurant’s savory version of “Ferrero Roche” that was made of black rice and some delicious filling and sauce. Mmm mmm mmm. Then we found an El Corte Ingles, a large department store with an amazing grocery store in the bottom. I bought some gelato to share at the hostel and headed back before it melted completely in the scorching sun. Luckily, I found two of my British friends on the terrace and we enjoyed some hearty laughs and nearly melted dulce de leche gelato. The guys are real characters and we have a great time picking on each other. We spent quite a while discussing the meaning of the word “cheeky,” which we sort of decided means being a little mischievous without causing harm. After that died down, I came downstairs to write this blog quickly before heading up again for “Paella Night.” The hostel organizes a lot of activities and this is one of them. I am starving and very excited to eat some hostel-made paella (a rice dish with seafood). As much as I need sleep yet again, I am sure I will get sucked into another night of fun, hopefully more low-key than last night was. Luckily, everyone else seems to be feeling something more chill too. But so far, that doesn’t seem to happen much in Sevilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment