Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Extremely Lost and Eventually Found!


Paella night was delicious! Many people, most of whom I know by now, gathered on the roof for a generous portion of paella and sangria. Everyone was so hungry that there was very little talking during the meal, but it was a lot of fun after the consumption ended. We played several games, like 20 questions (which turned into “Guess the Famous European”) and the name game (where you have to say a famous person whose first name starts with the first letter of the last name of the previously said person). Unfortunately the terrace closes at midnight, which is disappointing because it was such a chill atmosphere up there, so a bunch of us went out to find a bar. We returned to a popular spot not far from our hostel and hung out there until that place closed at 1:30. Then we headed toward an Irish bar near the Cathedral which had no music playing because apparently the neighbors complained. They really should know that they live above a bar in Spain, which basically means it will be loud all the time. My apartment is above a CervecerĂ­a so hopefully that won’t be a big problem. At this rate, I’ll probably just be down there every night. At the Irish bar, I mostly chatted with the people I came with, but I had a brief conversation with some Spanish boys who told me that they speak “nearly perfect” English. I’m not so sure about that, but I think I got the gist of what they were trying to say to me. After that, I headed home with a friend while the others continued on their trek to find a club. Since it was unsuccessful, I’m glad I went home at an “early” 2:30 am and got 10 hours of sleep! Finally!

This morning (actually the afternoon), I woke up and had a croissant at a cafĂ© with Rebecca. Then she went off to finalize her housing, and I went off on a solo adventure. I went towards the shopping area and tried on many Spanish clothes. I ended up getting a flowery Spanish-looking shirt from H&M (which is much better in Europe, by the way) and a cute dress from a store called Blanco that I am very excited about. Then I got completely and utterly lost. I tried to head back towards the hostel but somehow headed in the opposite direction for probably 10-15 minutes. Now, I did have a map, but it did not seem to help me very much. I’m certain I walked in several circles throughout my adventure back and got quite frustrated. Oh, how I miss my iPhone’s GPS! Eventually, after at least an hour of painful searching, I found the Cathedral. (This picture is taken in the square of the Cathedral.) I was about to collapse from exhaustion and hunger, so I called Rebecca and told her to meet me there for tapas. She and our British/Greek friend, Andreas, met me in the square and we searched around for a tapas bar, mainly because he had not had a true tapas experience since being in Sevilla. We settled on one we had been to before and sat down for another savory meal. I had patatas con ali oli, an amazing creamy sauce, and a crepe with goat cheese and raspberry. The food is just soooo good! That crepe was truly heavenly. We could not decide what meal that was, though, because people don’t eat dinner here until 9 or 10 pm. The ambience of Sevilla is so perfect. I could literally sit there with my friends all day and be perfectly content…especially after a long day of walking.


We headed back to the hostel after a while, under the agreement that coffee and pastries were in order a few hours later. Now I am writing this blog and resting my feet for our last night in the hostel. We may attend a free flamenco show with some of our friends and really should pack up the corner of our bedroom that has been ravaged with our stuff. I am a bit nervous about moving out of this ridiculously social environment and to an apartment of only 3 people, but hopefully I will keep in touch with some of the friends I made here, and Rebecca and I already have plans to explore other parts of the city. Apparently there is an absolutely amazing park near her apartment that I intend to frequent. I’m also excited to get to know my new roommates and hopefully speak much more Spanish. We have noticed that in the few days since finding an apartment, and therefore not having to communicate with landlords, our Spanish skills are dwindling. I’m sure that will change soon, though. Now let’s see what fun tonight holds before my move tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment