Sunday, October 3, 2010

Meet and Greet

Nighttime View of the Cathedral
YesterDAY was fairly uneventful. I took a siesta only four hours after waking up for the first time. It is embarrassing how often people sleep here, but, because they go out so late, so necessary. I headed into city center a little before our program meet up to stroll around. I love the atmosphere so much, but it definitely more fun to walk around with someone else. I sauntered to the cafe where we were meeting the other auxiliares and all of the outdoor seating was already taken, but they had a long table set up inside for our big group. I met some people sitting around me, but the long, thin table and the loud noise made it difficult to meet anyone more than a seat away from me. After I ate, I got up from the table and starting to mingle with more groups and met more people. A bunch of people decided to head out around midnight, and we followed them to Alfalfa. We ended up in a totally smoky, crowded bar that I refused to even enter, and a smaller group of people headed off in search of something better. It turned out to be an incredible night after that, probably one of my favorites in Sevilla so far! We found this hole-in-the-wall, local bar called Bodega Bar Julius near the Cathedral. Inside, we found a group of well-dressed probably 16-year-old Spanish boys singing songs around a guitar. So awesome! They were really talented and kept calling me "guapa," so that won them some points. We had some funny conversations about terrible wine with the bar man, and there was a group of old men from Liverpool that were making quite a ruckus! Later in the night, some "medical students" came in with guitars dressed in full on black jester outfits. It was absolutely hilarious. And later, a guy came in with a shirt that said "Cougar Pride" but had a picture of a lynx on it. Hmmm. All of this local culture was amazing, but most of the reason I had such a great time was because the other auxiliares I was with were incredible people. I felt instantly comfortable with them and they were such genuine and excited people. I really really hope we hang out again soon!

Boys Singing in the Bar
When I got home at 4 am, I talked with Brenna and Rosa for an hour. We had mucho to catch up on...and they are planning a trip here!!! Nothing makes me more excited than that! So, it was a night of making new friends and catching up with old ones. While I am sad that I missed Homecoming at Tufts, I don't think I could ask to be anywhere better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment