Friday, October 15, 2010

Japanese Flamenco


On Wednesday and Thursday, I worked at the school. I really like some of the classes. Some kids are already coming up to me in the halls and saying my name and seem excited to see me. I was able to give some classes on my own to small groups, and, while that is much more difficult than being an assistant, it is also much more rewarding. Half the time I am telling them to be quiet, but I am getting them to speak english the other half of the time. In one class, I taught them family words and, in another, I taught them how to give personal information. I was in a PE class where I saw the boys play soccer (fútbol, here). They are really talented! I forget what soccer skills we had when we were twelve, but there were some boys that seemed very good. Someone has to play on Spain's World Cup team, so maybe it is boys from Arahal. I also got to play some basketball with them, but the game was short-lived. They were not nearly as good at that sport. It is very difficult to wake up at 6:30 am to go to school. My eyes would hardly stay open during my long day on Wednesday, and, afterwards, I was completely wiped out. Maybe Spain created siestas for all the teachers, because I don't know how they do it every day with the constant yelling. I'm sure my voice will be gone every week too. Hopefully the good classes will make the experience feel rewarding though.


On Wednesday night, I joined Julie, Julia, and Reegis for 1 euro mini-sandwiches in Plaza de Armas. Afterwards, I saw a giant grocery store that made the one near my apartment seem dinky. Too bad I can't travel for an hour on the bus with frozen food. On Thursday evening, I went over to Chelsea's apartment to hang out with some friends before a flamenco show. Nite and Xanthe's Japanese roommate was performing in a flamenco show at a bar. Apparently, many people from Japan come to Sevilla to learn flamenco, as it is a coveted skill there. The show was incredible (and the Asian and Spanish fusion was a mixture of my summer and this year). It was in a very intimate setting, and the two Japanese dancers were incredibly talented and graceful. I also loved the cute Spanish guitarist and singer. I liked this flamenco show better than the one I had seen before because it was more lively and the singing was not so ridiculously overdramatic. The show lasted a couple hours and was entertaining the whole way through. The dancing seems very difficult because they move their feet so fast. You have to be in great shape to do it. It was also great because I had a bunch of friends there and got to catch up on life between the acts. Afterwards, we went up to the singer and guitarist and chatted with them! Chelsea was very brave and started the conversation with the guitarist, and then Rebecca and I chatted with the dimpled singer about upcoming shows and Cadiz (where he is from). I love having Spanish conversations! Sometimes I doubt my skills, but when it comes time to talk, something decent always comes out. We got his number to find out where his next show is, but I like to count it as just plain getting his number. They were both very approachable, and we were all excited after talking to them. We wandered around the center for a bit on the way home and ran into some friends, and then I trekked home by myself because I am sick of paying ridiculous amounts for taxis. I'll save that for when I'm coming home at 4 or 5 am.


Today, I plan to meet up with some friends later and go out dancing! Who knows what the night has in store for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment