Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Beach Day!!

Me, Arely, and Paige at the Viewing Spot
I love beach days! Today, a group of six of us took a bus in the morning to Huelva to a beach called Matalascañas. The bus was an easy trip that took about an hour, and I got to catch up with Rebecca the whole way there. When we got there, we hiked up some wooden steps to a viewing point, where there was a pretty view of the water and greenery. Then we continued on to the 5 km-long beach. It was not the most beautiful beach I've ever been to, but not many things compare to the expansive ocean and tons of sand so it sure was pretty. We found a spot in the sand, lined up our towels and blankets, and laid out in the hopes of getting some sun. Despite everyone telling me that it was going to be too cold and that it was going to rain, it was a gorgeous day and we got plenty of sun. Once the initial clouds passed, it was clear skies and the powerful sun of southern Spain...aka we got some color. It's quite strange, though...the sun didn't turn my skin the beautiful olive color of Spanish women...it still colored me red.

Strange Castle Tower on the Beach
After some hours lounging around, we went for a long stroll along the beach and found some ocean front apartments that I would not mind owning. The water was not too cold, so I decided that we were going swimming! That was one of the better decisions I have made in a while. It was absolutely incredible. The waves were quite big, and they towed us pretty far down the beach, but jumping in them was so much fun. They were so strong, in fact, that one particular wave entirely disrobed me underwater. I chose to reclothe myself before finding the surface, which, in hindsight, was a terrible decision, but it worked out fine. I am still alive and did not flash the world, although, it is Europe so no one would have cared at all. Swimming in the ocean was definitely the highlight of the day, and I would love to do it again soon before it actually is too cold.


Once we had dried off in the sun for a while, we packed up and headed off to find a restaurant. Many of them were not serving food at that hour (including one where we had already been sitting for a few minutes) but we found one on the boardwalk with a good menu del día deal. So we all feasted like kings...I enjoyed spaghetti bolognese and a baked fish similar to tuna. It is wonderful how well my new friends all get along. It is effortless conversation and it makes me so happy to have found such great people here so quickly. We rushed to get our dessert (gelato, of course) and walked briskly to catch the bus back to Sevilla at 6:00. I read a little on this ride (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close...which I am loving so far) and attempted to take a little siesta. When I finally got home, I started some sandy laundry and am getting ready for school tomorrow. I actually work, you ask? I know...we are all equally surprised. So I will try to get some sleep tonight before I go see my students bright and early tomorrow. Why can't every day be beach day? Answer: I would have skin cancer already.

1 comment:

  1. Extremely Loud and Incredibly close is one of my favorites! I actually bought a hrdcover at VIPS in English a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete