Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving - Take 2

Me, Rebecca, Tierney, Laura, and Paige with Turkey Plates
I had a wonderful Thursday night, despite being 3685 miles from my family in New York (looking up that number didn't help my Thanksgiving homesickness). It was Inma's birthday so the three of us roommates went down to the Cervecería right below our piso for a beverage. I had a great time chatting with them, and of course it was great Spanish practice. They picked on me when I messed up a few key phrases, but I did accidentally say some funny things.

Sam, Jaime, and Lindsay
Then I rushed off with my warm sweet potatoes to Thanksgiving Dinner #2 in Spain. This dinner was hosted by the lovely Andrea, Kelly, and Alex in Triana. I knew almost everyone at the dinner but do not see these people as often as the friends at the first dinner, so it was wonderful bonding with different people and making new friends. We hovered around the appetizers for way too long and got way too full before the dinner even started. Appetizers should not be allowed at Thanksgiving...but they are sooo good! When dinner was served around 10:30, it was perfect and complete. We were not missing anything from America, thanks to care packages. It was all delicious and felt a lot like being back in America. We had some incredible and much needed girl-talk at the "adult table" and I'm pretty sure I laughed off some of the calories (maybe enough to negate one bite of stuffing). We all talked about our plans for the early December break and Christmas break, and everyone seems to be doing something cool.

Some of the Chefs - Alex, Andrea, and Brett
There was not enough of a gap between dinner and dessert, but I somehow found room to take bites of the amazing apple pie, chocolate and banana crumble, and homemade pumpkin pie. I must say - we did Thanksgiving right last night. We sat in an uncomfortable state for another few hours before heading home around 1:30 am. That was certainly the latest Thanksgiving I've ever had, but that's just keeping in tradition with late Spanish dinners. 

America on a Plate
When I got home, I immediately got on Skype and connected with my entire extended family in Rochester, NY. They were all bustling about after dinner and before dessert - this time the 6 hour time difference actually came in handy. I got to say Hi and catch up with all of my cousins, aunts and uncles, and gramma. It made me really happy to be able to see them all in one place, but it definitely made me even more sad to be missing it. Josh so kindly ended the conversation when he determined that I was getting between him and dessert. I can always count on my brother for sentimental feelings.

Pumpkin and Apple Pie...mmm
I am thankful I got to experience two amazing Thanksgiving dinners with two groups of incredible friends. I never expected to have such great friends so far from home just a few months into my stay in Spain. If it wasn't for them, I would never have been able to adjust here and be so happy. As Andrea said last night, I am also thankful for Skype so I could actually see my whole family on the best day of the year in America. I love and miss you all so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment