Thursday, November 11, 2010

Clases Particulares

Rowing on Plaza de España
After a crazy weekend, I had an equally busy and exhausting week. On Sunday evening, Inma and I strolled down to the Plaza de España and rowed in the moat around the plaza. The moat has not been filled with water for several years so I am lucky to be here now. It reminded me of being in Venice (and made me want to go back to Italy). Rowing on the moat had the potential to be incredibly romantic, so I will need to procure some chico who is willing to take me there. The actual rowing was pretty difficult - while my legs are much stronger, my arm muscles have completely deteriorated while being here. It was definitely nice to get out of the apartment after a lazy Sunday and have an adventure.

Inma
Struggling
My school had a book fair this week which served as a form of entertainment during my breaks. I bought my first Spanish book for pleasure - El niño con el pijama de rayas (The Boy In The Striped Pajamas). After finishing in two days and really enjoying Vonnegut's A Man Without A Country, I started reading this book in Spanish. It is much slower going but a lot of fun to do. I feel like every page is an accomplishment, and I understand most of it, which is exciting. I'm finding it interesting and surprising how much I love reading here. I think it is because I really miss being in school and learning. When I am giving these classes, I am jealous of the students. It makes me more excited to go to grad school after this is all over.

This week, I started my first clases particulares! I am giving classes to a 25-year-old girl who lives right near me (very convenient) for 3 hours per week and an 11-year-old boy for 1 hour per week. It certainly takes a fair amount of planning to fill that time, but hopefully that will get easier as I figure out how long activities take. And I have to be totally attentive the entire time, which is more difficult than it sounds. It is incredible how much effort the students put in during the lesson. It's not easy to speak a foreign language for an hour or more straight. But I'm very happy to be doing these classes because they get me out of the apartment on evenings when it is very easy to be lazy after work. So two days of my week will be very difficult and exhausting, but it will all be worth it in the end!

This weekend, I am planning to go to Córdoba from Saturday to Sunday with an unknown amount of friends. Whoever comes, I'm sure it will be great and I'm very excited to see the mosque. I've heard the city is gorgeous, so I'm pumped to see it for myself. Until then, I will relax and see friends. Also, I booked my flights to Madrid and Barcelona for when Brenna and Rosa come visit in December! Woohoo! I am so excited for those trips with them!

1 comment:

  1. the first spanish book i ever bought was also el niño de las pijamas de raya from my school's bookfair, too!

    and glad you like man without a country - i breezed thru it! you knows there's always more over here, too...

    ReplyDelete