Sunday, November 7, 2010

From Tourism To Picnics To Dancing

Cutest Thing I've Ever Seen - Little Boy Driving His Dad's Horse

I apologize for not posting for so long. During the week, I feel like I have nothing interesting to write and then on the weekends, I am so busy running around that I have no time. My school week was fine. It is tough waking up so early in the mornings, so I don't do much in the evenings after school. But this week, I have my first clases particulares (private classes) scheduled, so I will be forced to get out of the house in the evenings.

View from La Giralda
On Friday, I headed into town in the afternoon with the intention of wandering around and meeting up with friends later. Of course, because this seems to be the smallest city ever, I ran into other friends by the Cathedral and joined up with them. One girl was visiting from Cádiz so we decided to do a lot of touristy things. I finally went inside the Cathedral! It was really pretty and overwhelming. I feel like I could go see it 100 times and still miss tons of details. We also climbed La Giralda, the giant tower. There are ramps all the way up it, which I think are easier than stairs, but it was certainly a workout. The view from the top was incredible. Sevilla is beautiful both from the streets and from above. Well done, city planners. After the Cathedral, we went and had amazing tapas at a very local tapas bar. There were no tables, so we just stood at the bar and feasted. We asked for recommendations, and they brought us about 5 different delicious tapas. We shared everything, and I only paid 2.50 euros for an amazing assortment of tapas. I would certainly go back there - I hope I could find it again. Then we wandered around the old Jewish quarter - my home. I wish I lived there! It is amazingly quaint and has really cool shops where I need to go buy some room decorations. Then we hung out in a little park for a while before going home to get ready for the night. I was terribly exhausted after all that exploration, but it was a Friday night, so I had to go out.

Santa Cruz
I went to meet up with people at a botellón near Torre de Oro, but I could not find anyone there. I felt pretty out of place surrounded by Spanish teenagers getting drunk, so what did I do? Went to the McDonald's to pee, of course. Then Arely and Paige showed up so I finally had friends. We went on a hunt to find the rest of the group that had changed locations to across the river. We eventually met up and hung out right by the river for a while. What a beautiful view! I'm so glad Sevilla has some water in it - it's certainly no ocean view, but it adds a lot to the city. Later on, we went to a salsa club and danced the night away. I am not skilled in the art of salsa dancing but I made some valiant attempts with my friends and one Spanish man. I saw this one kid from Ecuador dancing and it was the most incredible thing to watch. He moved so well and with so little effort. I basically just stared at him and tried to figure out how he did it. I was thoroughly impressed. I headed home around 4:30 and got a little bit of sleep.

At the Botellón by the River
On Saturday, I went to a picnic to celebrate Jonny's birthday. We feasted on bread and chorizo and I met a ton of people from England and all over Europe. I had a wonderful time enjoying the perfect weather. I even kicked a soccer ball around for a bit, which was great. Unfortunately, I'm no Christiano Ronaldo. After sitting there for a few hours, Rebecca and I went on a long trek to our intercambio. We arrived very late and did not stay very long, but I spoke a lot of Spanish during my time there. I had to get home and rest a little before another big night out. Later, I met up with my picnic friends at their apartment where we hung out for a while. I lost them on our walk to the club but found my American friends there. We went to a club called Bandalai that might be my new favorite place. They played a really good mix of American and Spanish music, all of which was great for dancing! So I danced forever until I was soooo exhausted at 5 am. I bid my friends goodbye and headed home to crash.

Enjoying the Picnic in Parque Los Principes
This afternoon, I woke up and went on a cleaning spree. Other than that, I am just organizing my life and relaxing for once. I cannot believe I went out until 5 am two nights in a row. For most people, that is simple, but for this girl, it's a feat. Spain truly is infecting me...

No comments:

Post a Comment