Sunday, February 13, 2011

Pick-Bagging Can Happen To Anyone

Me and Xanthe on her last night in Sevilla
This week marked exactly halfway through my year of teaching. I know this because Julie and I swapped teaching schedules, so now I am teaching on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. I realize that working three days per week is a luxury, but most Auxiliares get Friday off so it is difficult for me to wake up at 6:30 am on a day when everyone else gets to lounge around. Besides that bit of complaining, my new classes seem good so far, and it is nice to get to know a new group of students, although I was just getting close to my old classes. Some of the groups have remained the same, but there are a lot of new faces and names to learn now.

On Tuesday, I had a lovely day of relaxation with some girl friends at Aire de Sevilla, the Arab Baths in Santa Cruz. It was like I was transported back to Morocco while remaining in Spain. There were 6 different baths and rooms (bathrooms?) that we spent 1.5 hours floating around in. My favorite was the warm salt water bath that I floated in effortlessly. Besides my shriveled skin, I could have stayed there forever. It was nice to relax after all the stress of moving.

Me and Anna
On Friday night, despite extreme exhaustion, I went out to bid farewell to two of my Erasmus friends, Nite and Xanthe. It was a fun night but very bittersweet because it was the last time I would see them for who knows how long. I plan to visit Nite in Amsterdam and hopefully will make it to visit Xanthe in Portugal, but I wish they did not have to leave me.

Saturday was not so fun. I fell victim to the infamous pick-pocketing (or, in my case, pick-bagging) of Europe. At some point while enjoying a coffee on a gorgeous, sunny afternoon with Rebecca, someone got into my bag and took my wallet. I have no idea how they pulled it off without me feeling it or anyone seeing it happen (especially since Rebecca was sitting right across from me) but the sneaky dude got what he wanted. I wish he was a nice thief and would just take the money and leave the wallet with all my cards somewhere for a good samaritan or police officer to find it. After canceling my credit cards (he had tried to use it at an ATM but didn't know my PIN), I went to a police station and filed a report. I think that was my first official printed police report, but I wish I had not had to file one. Now my next few days or however long it takes will consist of obtaining new versions of all the cards I lost. ¡Qué lástima! Now I have learned my lesson to NEVER let my bag out of my sight. Don't let it happen to you either. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, especially since the following night consisted of nightmares and self-hatred for having let it happen to me.

Sevilla Marathon
This morning, I went to watch the Sevilla Marathon! It was a lot of fun, although it was probably one of the quietest marathons in the world. My group of friends was basically the only ones cheering. We saw the runners in the front who make my running look like a turtle sleeping. They were flying and did not look like they had already run 24 miles. Then we left for a bit to make posters for Julie's friend who was running and came back to see a much denser pack of runners. I cheered for the guy I met at the bosque suspendida and our gym teacher on a bike next to him. We cheered for anyone who even slightly acknowledged us and went crazy for a girl with a USA shirt. Watching it was very fun, but it made me feel quite unaccomplished. I'll go to the gym later to make up for that, though. :-P

Watch your bags, people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment