Monday, January 24, 2011

Tufts in Sevilla

I had some fun things happen this weekend. On Thursday, I went with Chelsea to an African dance class. It was a ton of fun, despite the fact that I was unprepared for it and wearing jeans and a nice shirt. It took place in a garage with live drummers providing the beat. The teacher was an amazing and very flexible dancer who made us shake every part of our body. I hadn't worked out in a while, and it definitely made me sweat. The group had been practicing a routine, so I followed along in the back as best as I could. Then we reviewed a new routine they are starting with lots of jumping around and open arms. After the great workout, we went back to Chelsea's and had a delicious dinner cooked by Tobi. It was a very unexpected and fun evening!

On Friday night, I went out to Bandalai with my Erasmus friends. Before going out, we hung out by the river, which was freeeezing. I had an incredible night of dancing to hip-hop music. The crowd at the club was different than I've ever seen in Spain - think Spanish Jersey Shore. So I mostly hung out with my amigos! I'm really sad because many of them are leaving in mid-February, but that just gives me an excuse to go visit them around Europe.

I went apartment hunting on Saturday and came up with something great. I have decided to move to the center because I feel isolated where I currently live. I think being far away my friends and the bustling city life has contributed to my homesickness. In February, I'll be moving into a casa Sevillana, complete with a tiled entrance-way and huge roof. The house has two separate pisos with 3 girls in each, and the landlord lives downstairs. I haven't met my roommates yet, but I hope they are nice (I think they are from France and Germany for now). Next weekend, I'll be packing up all the stuff I have accumulated since coming here and moving on Tuesday. It will definitely be a new experience and hopefully brighten my life here.

Apparently, American study abroad students and Tufts students have taken over Sevilla. Yesterday, I met up with my friend Shari from Tufts, and, as we were leaving Cafe de Indias, one of the people I was Orientation Leader's for walked in. Then Shari and I went and had coffee with two other girls from Tufts. It was great to hear about how Tufts is holding up, but it mostly made me jealous of their program. I miss school so much, and their classes and programming sound incredible. Maybe I'll just crash their classes. Later, as I was walking down the main street, the only language I heard was American English. We are everywhere. This might also help cure my homesickness, although it's not going to help my Spanish skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment