Thursday, June 9, 2011

Prague


Wow! Prague was absolutely fabulous. I’m sad I had such a short amount of time there because it was truly lovely and full of things I wanted to do. I got into my hostel in the afternoon so I just walked around the city for a couple hours. I was totally impressed by all of the ornate buildings. Literally every building was gorgeous. I saw the astronomical clock tower and some other famous sites. That evening, I hung out with people in the lounge of my hostel (they play movies all day long) and went to dinner with a girl from my room. We went to a local place on the corner where I had delicious salmon and apple strudel for about 7 euros. Not bad, Prague.

Wednesday morning, I went on a walking tour of the city. I got a lot of history of the city but they didn’t show me much more than I had already seen. It was still nice though. They took us to the Jewish quarter but everything was closed because it was a Jewish holiday. It’s too bad because I was really looking forward to exploring the awesome cemetery there. After the tour, I hiked up a giant hill and got a little lost on purpose. I ended up in a cute part of the city with small houses and winding roads. I eventually made my way back down to Prague Castle. I wandered around there for a while and went into a few of the buildings, but I wasn’t super impressed. The outside of the church and the facades were better than the insides. Luckily, though, I ran into two girls I had met in my hostel in Berlin. We ended up spending the whole rest of the afternoon and evening together, which was great for not being lonely. We walked to see the world’s largest metronome – kind of a letdown. Then we walked to the complete opposite end of the city to see Frank Gehry’s Dancing House. It was cool but we were so exhausted by that point. Then we went on a hunt for dinner and eventually collapsed into a pizzeria. After dinner, we parted ways and I went back to the hostel. I relaxed and hung out there and met some really cool people before going to bed.

Now I’m on a cramped bus to Vienna. Prague is up there on my list of favorite cities, so Vienna has a lot to compete with. I definitely want to return there soon and stay for a lot longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment