Saturday, May 7, 2011

Feria de Sevilla

Me dancing Sevillanas
This week in Sevilla was the Feria de Abril, but it actually happened in May this year. It is basically a week-long party in the seemingly endless fairgrounds in Los Remedios. It is quite spectacular. Along the fairgrounds are hundreds of "casetas," which are basically elaborate tents with kitchens, bathrooms, and dancing and seating space. Most of the casetas are private and you cannot go in them unless the owner invites you. Some are public for people like me and my friends who don't know the elite of Sevilla. There is also an amusement park on the far end of the fairgrounds with tons of overpriced attractions and rides.

Las Casetas
Trajes de Flamenca
The most impressive part of Feria are the outfits. Most of the women dress in
"trajes de flamenca," incredibly beautiful and evidently flattering dresses. I didn't fork up the euros for one of these dresses, so I was very jealous of how amazing everyone else looked. Rebecca and I did stop in a store on the way for flowers for our hair though, so we were not completely un-Sevillana. The men dress in nice suits, which is always a treat for the eyes. On the streets, there are tons of horses and carriages, which add to the antique feel of the fair. The official music of Feria is "Sevillanas" and people do the dance of the same name. I got to use the moves I had learned in my Sevillanas class at my gym, but they were nothing compared to the passion and grace that the true Sevillanos exude while dancing. My favorite part of the whole fair was watching people dance. Overall, it is definitely the most interesting and beautiful festivals I've ever attended.

Horses
El Alumbrado
On Monday night, Julie, Leah, and I went to see the "alumbrado"where they light up the enormous entrance gate at midnight to signify the start of Feria. It was really pretty and everyone cheered. We ended up meeting some guys who invited us into a caseta. Score! We tried the official drink of Feria, "rebujito," a yummy combination of white wine and Sprite. We danced for a bit at what seemed like a wedding party or the 1920s. It was a good start to the most talked about week in Sevilla.

Spanish Girls in Front of the Gate
On Tuesday evening, I went to see the spectacle during the day. The horses were out and about and I had to dodge them while walking through the fair. The dresses on the girls were each so unique and beautiful. I met up with Leah whose Spanish intercambio partner helped us get into a private caseta. I chatted with the people there, ate some desserts, and danced Sevillanas. Unfortunately, I suffered from terrible allergies caused by the dust they use on the ground, the horses, and the smoke. I was a sniffling mess among the endless beauty. It was a lot of fun but it's too bad I'm allergic to Feria.

The Amazing Dancers
I stocked up on allergy medicine and headed back on Friday night with my European friends. We hung around a public caseta, listening to the music and attempting to dance. I was lucky enough to see two incredible dancers do some improvised Sevillanas while an entire crowd watched in amazement. It was the sexiest and most passionate thing I've seen in a long time. That made my night and was the epitome of Feria for me. If you ever get the chance to come to Sevilla during Feria, do it! It is such and unique and sensational experience. Just remember to bring your Zyrtec!

No comments:

Post a Comment